Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Welcome-to-Autumn Update!

Fall is finally here!
In the spirit of celebrating my favorite of all seasons, I have given this tired and neglected blog a make-over. Also, I will have some autumn things to share with you soon from the Dapple Apple craft shoppe.  Until then...


Autumn has arrived and with it, a renewed sense of warmth for all things stew/soup related!
Today, in an effort to prove to a few of my readers that I don't *hate* Texas, a truly southern stew recipe.  I came up with this one on my own using 5 recipes that I found to be... lacking.  I hope if you try this recipe, it will warm you up!  Let me know how it turns out!





West Texas Cowboy Stew
Ingredients     1 pkg of stew meat or diced boneless/skinless chicken breasts
     2 cans of black beans (don't drain)
     2 cans of corn (don't drain)
     2 cans of diced tomatoes & green chilies (not drained)
     1 large onion (diced)
     1 bell pepper (diced)
     2 zucchinis (diced)
     3-5 potatoes (in bite sized chunks or thin slices)
     3-7 cups of beef or chicken broth or water
     1 teaspoon of black pepper
     1 teaspoon of salt
     3 tsp of garlic powder
     1 teaspoon of cumin
     1 teaspoon of rosemary
     2 teaspoon of dried or ground oregano
     (optional) 3 avocados (chopped)
     (optional) 1 cup of shredded cheese
     (optional) Tortillas or Tortilla chips

Directions
    In to a large pot, drain the beans, corn, and tomatoes and green chilies.  (Do not dump the beans in, just the liquid.) Heat over medium until warm, add in broth (or water), seasonings, and meat.
    Let heat through, then simmer on med-low for 25-35 minutes. Stir occasionally.
    Add beans, onions, bell peppers, corn, zucchini, tomatoes and green chilies, and potatoes. Simmer for 30-45 more minutes- stir often. When potatoes are soft and done, remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes, then serve.
    Eat avocado, cheese, lime, sour cream, tortillas, etc. with stew.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. It took me a long time to adjust to West Texas specifically. The climate, the look and the feel....but its home now. I have been able to find its beauty and its purpose in my life.

    Im really gonna have to try out making some soup. You are the third person I have heard recently talk of soup. (and my friend made some amazing stuff that I cant pronounce let alone spell, but it was good stuff) :)

    ReplyDelete